How can you manage your skin health through Ayurveda?
Skin being the largest external organ in the body is the key for overall well being. The condition and appearance of the skin is influenced by certain internal and external factors. Externally by sunlight, environment, climate, Air and water pollutants. Internally by stress, hormonal imbalance, biological aging, genetic and diseases like diabetes, etc. have impact on skin conditions.
What does vedic knowledge tell us about skin health? How could it be differentiated based on individual?
There are number of factors which is responsible for skin health and youthfulness, they include
- Moisture of skin – Kapha in balance
- Effective metabolism that coordinate with hormonal reaction of skin – Pitta in balance.
- Proper circulation of blood and nutrients – Vata in balance.
The tridosha being the unique constitution of every individual has a very important role in overall skin health. The nutritional fluid, blood and muscle health is reflected on the skin. The purified, oxygenated blood purifies the skin and ensures a spotless body. The muscle tissue provides firmness and prevents sagging due to biological aging, the metabolic nutrients feeds the skin and maintains the skin health.
What do the anti aging herbs do to your skin?
- Varnya (skin lightening) – ability to enhance the inner radiance of skin and promotes skin brightening.
- Sandhaniya (cell rejuvenation/regeneration) – helps to maintain healing and proper regenerative function of the skin and protects the skin from environmental influence.
- Vayasthapana (age defying) – maintain youthfulness by nourishing the skin and ensuring optimum physiological functioning and promoting anti aging property.
- Vranaropana – healing and anti inflammatory property which helps in clearing the pimples.
- Twachya (nurturing) – nurturing the skin and maintains the health regularly.
- Tvachagnivardhini (metabolism) – enchancing the luster of skin by enhancing skin metabolism.
Skincare based on gunas:
- Vata skin or Dry skin: skin should be nourished and rehydrated to avoid wrinkles, premature aging. Warm oil self massage and herbal moisturizes help to prevent your skin from damage.
- Pitta skin or sensitive skins – Sunscreens helps to prevent sun tan, burning sensation etc. oil massage should be done regularly to promote even tone.
- Kapha skin or normal skin – should be properly moisturized with warm oil massage and gentle exfoliation should be done.
Few herbs with anti aging property:
- Turmeric, neem, three myrobalans, aloe vera, guduchi, Ashwagandha etc herbs helps us to maintain our skin.
Habits that are aging us prematurely:
- Improper sleep timings.
- Skipping meals and not maintaining regular intervals for food intake.
- Not eating a balanced nutritious diet.
- Having junk foods.
- High stress level
- Lack of exercise.
The aging process is a huge challenge for every human, the desire to look young prevails in majority of us, and this has made the cosmetic world in fusing the traditional knowledge in maintaining proper skin health.