By: Dr. Rekha Kumar
Fenugreek is a popular spice and a leafy vegetable. According to Ayurveda, it is cold (Sheeta Veerya) in nature. The seed is astringent in taste it reduces body dryness and acts as a diuretic. It helps to reduce symptoms of stomach bloating and flatulence.
Nutritional facts in 100grams of Fenugreek
Total calories: caloric value 48 calories
It is good at a source of calcium, iron, vitamin A and other nutrients hence it is recommended for daily intake.
It is a good remedy to be used in cooking. It can be used in illness like fatigue, distaste, bloating of stomach or cough
Seeds also possess great medicinal value like the leaves of fenugreek.
The alkaloids present in fenugreek make it an appropriate remedy for dysentery and liver-related disorders.
Seeds can be used for dysentery, white discharge, burning sensation in the body, increases bone strength, water retention, asthma, chronic cough and it also increases libido.
- The leaves boiled and mixed with butter will reduce symptoms of giddiness and dizziness caused by pitta.
- Fenugreek paste can be added to dosa batter, this dosa will increase body strength and reduce all pain.
- Fenugreek powder soaked in water and consumed will reduce stomach ache, fever, increased body heat.
- A handful of fenugreek soaked in water and consumed in empty stomach in the early morning is a good remedy to keep blood sugar level under control. It can be also used for cough, asthma etc.
- In case of diarrhea with stomach ache, ½ teaspoon of fenugreek powder can be mixed with diluted yoghurt and consumed it gives fast relief from the symptoms.
- It can be added to the porridge and served to lactating mother in order to increase breast milk.
Dr.Rekha kumar is an Ayurveda graduate and a panchakarma specialist who has been trained in Vaidya Ratnam oushada sala, Kerala. She is a lifestyle consultant and Author of various blogs and magazines. She has done health awareness programs on vendar tv. Dr. Rekha is a jeevaka award winner for academic excellence which is awarded by the Himalaya pharmaceuticals.